Thursday, November 11, 2010

Where to go next?

Right now my top priorities are:
1 - Finishing the plumbing
2 - Replacing all the electric
3- Build a dog run and put a new fence up in the back yard
4 - All new windows and doors

But the question is, then what? There is so much to do on this house and since every room is getting done, it is hard to pick which room should get done first. I think if I work on multiple rooms at once, I will find myself getting overwhelmed and getting nothing done. So here are my thoughts on my top 4.

1. My bedroom and master bath. It is my domain so to speak. I spend a good amount of time in there and it would be nice to get it done first so after a long day of working on a project I can shower or take a bath in my nice finished bathroom and go to sleep in my nice finished bedroom and not look around thinking of how much I still have to do.

2. The Piano Room. This is actually where a lot of time gets spent. I call it the piano room because...there is a piano in it but it is basically a family room. It is also the first room I see when I come home as it is the door right in from the carport. Also, once the electrical and plumbing work is all done, this room will need a lot less work than my bedroom and bathroom.

3. The Living Room. Surprisingly I use this room A LOT! It is a living/dining room, very large. It has a fireplace, the other being in my master. It is very formal but is so open and right off the kitchen. When friends come over we like to sit in there if we are not watching TV, just hanging out talking or having a drink. It is also the room in the house that will take the least amount of working. It is the only room that only needs touch up on the wallpaper and not full replacement.

4. The Kitchen. The kitchen is probably going to be the most expensive room to restore/renovate. Besides just the appliances which come out to around $8K, I am getting new cupboards, cabinets, counter tops, floors, the works. It is still going to look the same but because of the sizes of things when the house was built in 1964 and the size of things now, not to mention materials available now etc, it makes more sense to rebuild the kitchen than work with what I have. I love to cook and entertain and spend a good amount of time in this room.

So what do you think? I have looked online, watched shows, read books and asked the pros and they all have their own way and their own order. I don't have a crew of guys working though so I can't tear up every room in my home. I'll have help but still it will be one room at a time. Which room would you start first?

See pictures of the house back in 2001 when I first bought it here. I'll be updating this and adding more albums with current pictures and the updates as work gets done.

Quit the Rat Race Today

No comments:

Post a Comment